Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: January 2000:
[Freeciv] Re: rpm installation

To: John dillick <jdillick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv] Re: rpm installation
From: jesdynf <jesdynf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2000 23:57:04 -0600 (CST)

> Basically, I don't know the intended use of the files I mentioned earlier.
> from a bash prompt logged on as root:
> /root]#civserver
> bash: civserver: command not found
> (ok... obviously not in my search path)
> /root]# cd /usr/games
> /root]# ls
> banner  civ  civclient  civserver  ser
> /root]# civserver
> bash: civserver: command not found

The symptom here is that the current directory -- "." -- is NOT part of
your PATH. Security reasons; it keeps you from running random binaries as
root.

The PROBLEM here is that you're running as root at all; you shouldn't be.
You said you're a novice, so perhaps you don't know the First Rule.

Don't Run As Root.

Make yourself an account, and use it for everything. If you need root for
repetitive tasks, use sudo; if you need root for a one-shot, use su.

I generally go for WEEKS without logging in as root, and that's more or
less proper. I've got this healthy respect for the myriad ways I can shoot
myself in the foot.

The civserver runs quite cheerfully from a user account, and user accounts
often DO have "." in the path. So toss /usr/games into your .bash_profile
and have at it.

Asher Densmore-Lynn <jesdynf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>