Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: April 1999:
Re: [Freeciv] freeciv news group

To: Torkild Hovde Lyngstad <torkildl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Nicolas Brunel <brunel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv] freeciv news group
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 02 Apr 1999 17:41:04 -0600

Torkild Hovde Lyngstad <torkildl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > If it goes through, what does this mean for the mailing lists?
>
> Maybe one should consider a mail-2-news-gateway or vice versa?

I would be open to considering that, but a traditional problem of
these is that newsgroups are far more prone to spam, and it can cause
spam to creep into the mailing list.  One thing some have done is a
unidirectional gate -- posts to the mailing list go to the ng, but not
vice-versa.  I am a bit dubious about this, though, because
conversations get fragmented -- the people on the list never see the
followups that get on the newsgroup.