Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 1999:
[Freeciv] Important mailing list information

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx, freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
From: John Goerzen <jgoerzen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 20:52:29 -0600

Hello Freeciv fans,

Even though I expect this to have almost zero trouble for you, I want to
keep you informed about what will be happening so nobody panics :-)

As I mentioned on January 31 in
http://www.complete.org/mailinglists/archives/freeciv-199901/msg00093.html,
there are plans to migrate complete.org's dozens of mailing lists from
Majordomo to Listar.  Listar will provide you with many benefits.  For
instance, it is easier to interact with, has many more options (for
instance, it can automatically confirm that your message was sent out on the
list or you can tell it not to send you copies of your own posts), is
faster, and is more robust; when you issue a 'lists' command on freeciv.org,
you should no longer see complete.org lists in the result.

Barring any significant objection, I hope to make this change within the
next few hours or days.

I will keep the current subscriber lists, so there is no need to worry about
that.  Posting addresses will remain the same.  Listar's syntax is like
Majordomo in many ways, so normal subscribe/unsubscribe commands will work
(in fact, I'll alias majordomo to listar.)  The only change that people will
need to know about is how to switch between the regular and digest version;
I'll send instructions for that at the appropriate time.

Due to this high level of compatibility, I expect zero mail loss or bounce
messages.  I will hold delivery of mail while the changes are being made,
and mail will then run again afterwards.  I will follow up when the
transition has been made.

If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.

Regards,

John Goerzen
Postmaster, Complete.org