Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: February 1999:
Re: [Freeciv] Server start-up problem

To: n9840369@xxxxxxxxxx
Cc: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Freeciv] Server start-up problem
From: David Pfitzner <dwp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 1999 14:04:14 +1100

Sam Wilson wrote:

> This is probably a really dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway so I can
> start playing freeciv.  Whenever I try to start the server, this is what
> I get.
> # ./ser
> Freeciv version 1.7.2 server
> 0: bind failed: Address already in use
> #

That means the port the server tried to use (default 5555)
was already in use, possibly by another freeciv server
(you didn't start one and leave it somewhere?), possibly
by something else, or possibly there is some other
port-related problem.

You can try another ports by eg  "./ser -p 5556"  (or some other
number).  If you find a number which works, you will also have
to use that number instead of the default 5555 when you connect
a client to that server.

Regards,
-- David