Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv: January 1999:
Re: [Freeciv] metaserver

To: freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx (Freeciv users)
Subject: Re: [Freeciv] metaserver
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 22:25:37 +0100

> I started up a FreeCiv server at a local computer, but did not see it in the
> metaserver list. The server duely reported this:
>
> 1: Sending info to metaserver[platinum.daimi.aau.dk 12245]
>
> After waiting a few minutes, I checked the metaserver list through the client
> and web interface, but still was not listed. Is this a common problem?

Unfortunately, yes.  Often, the metaserver itself (platinum) is down, while
the WWW server reporting the results is working normally.  The result is a
stale report.  This may last for 48 hours or more; I don't think the
maintainer plays Freeciv anymore.

If the #freeciv channels weren't empty most of the time, they could be used
to synchronise players.  Also, the new WWW pages are supposed to contain
an announcemnent board.

--
Reinier