Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-java: March 2002:
[FreeCiv-Java] Re: JFreeciv experiences

To: "BenHutchison" <ben_hutchison@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "jFreeCiv" <freeciv-java@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [FreeCiv-Java] Re: JFreeciv experiences
From: <braunsalexander@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 09:57:57 +0100

Ben Hutchison <ben_hutchison@xxxxxxxxx> schrieb am 25.03.02:
> --- Ben Mazur <bmazur@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > 2. The binary ran fine first time from windows explorer (jdk1.4,
> > win98), and
> > > connected ok to a civ 1.12 server. However, I saw some problems with
> > graphics
> > > that made the game unplayable:
> > >   a) Cant access city screen at all
> >
> > As jfreeciv has yet to implement a way to track mouse clicks on the
> > map, you can only access the city dialog from the "find city" dialog.
> > Sort of silly.
>
> Could be better.
>
> Is what's needed is A) mouse click handler which can convert screen pixel
> coordinates to a map tile coordinate, B) find city Y at tile X method, and C)
> something to wire trigger an "open city Y" method somewhere?
>
> If nobody is currently attemting this, Im willing to have a go and submit a
> patch back to the list or maintainer.
>
> If so, any advice on how to go about it, what in the code to look at, other
> issues to consider, pitfalls, etc would be welcomed.
>
> Ben

Hi Ben,
as you probably noticed due to my absence (sorting out life, moving twice,
started at PhD in Hamburg) I havent been following the list too busily myself
as of late, so the following is a bit of a blind shot. Just going by the above
comment though I do have an idea of how to relate clicks to certain tiles. I
did a little board game in Java, where you click on the tile to move your
figure. Instead of figuring out where you clicked and relating that to a tile,
instead I had the tile itself do that stuff. So, simply have

public class tile implements MouseListener {...}

and from here on you either do all the stuff in tile itself (is there a city
sitting on me? Do I call the client??) or another possibility would be to
create new events like TileEvent and have that propagate to the correct
listener.

Hope that helps,

ciao

Alex