Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-java: October 2001:
[FreeCiv-Java] Re: 3 suggestions

To: "Luke Lindsay" <LUKE@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <freeciv-java@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [FreeCiv-Java] Re: 3 suggestions
From: "Brian Duff" <Brian.Duff@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 22:17:24 -0000

Hi Luke,

Thanks for the suggestions!

The map view component in freerails looks very interesting. I'm working on
this right now, and trying to keep it kind of similar to the C version of
freeciv (well in terms of the way it works, rather than the emmm...design).
But your code looks like it will come in very useful for helping out with
the bits I'm finding tricky and which the C code doesn't help much with (in
particular, scrolling, which I'm a bit scared about in general, to be
honest). So, thanks for that :)

About the datadir: The datafiles we use are the same as the ones that come
with the C version of Freeciv. One of the useful things is that you can drop
in new tilesets and rules very easily. So the datadir property will probably
stick around. But you're right, there's no reason not to load the "standard"
data files from the classpath, and just allow them to be overridden by the
datadir property. I'll try to get round to this at some point (unless
someone else feels like doing it :) )

Good catch about the assert thing... The three broken files were kind of
old, and weren't using the common (warningless) Assert code. Anyway, I've
checked in a fix now, and a fix for the deprecation warning in CivMap.java
under 1.4.

Thanks,

Brian