Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-java: October 2001:
[FreeCiv-Java] Re: Fw: Status of a Java Port of FreeCiv (fwd)

To: "Alexander Braun" <BraunsAlexander@xxxxxx>, <freeciv-java@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: <andrearo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [FreeCiv-Java] Re: Fw: Status of a Java Port of FreeCiv (fwd)
From: "Brian Duff" <Brian.Duff@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 15:31:00 +0100

Yeah,

I'd love to get involved in it again if other people were helping out too.
I'm in "ship mode" at work this week (hence the working at the weekend bit
:( ), but I may have a bit more free time in a couple of weeks to work on
java freeciv.

To be honest, the main reason I got a bit disillusioned and stopped working
on it was that I found myself mostly converting large chunks of the original
C code to Java ( I was trying to implement the isometric tile support ). As
I was converting it, of course, the C code was changing as people submitted
patches / fixes for the "main" version of freeciv. I had a bit of "I'll
never catch up" syndrome.

But with others to help out, maybe this won't be so bad... :) Plus there's a
whole load of UI work needs to be done (an area where I think the java
freeciv has the potential to be much _better_ than the C freeciv) if you're
not into the back end / graphics engine stuff.

Anyhow, would you guys prefer CVS commit rights, or just to submit patches
to the list (ala the C freeciv)? I own the dubh.org server outright, so
providing access is no problem...

Brian