Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-java: March 2000:
[FreeCiv-Java] Upgrading to 1.10 and restructuring Client.java a bit

To: freeciv-java@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [FreeCiv-Java] Upgrading to 1.10 and restructuring Client.java a bit
From: Brian Duff <bduff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 12:57:59 +0000

Hi,

I've been doing a bit of work in my free time with the freeciv java
client source. I started off trying to get Revolutions to work properly,
but then got a bit deeper into things and ended up upgrading the
networking bits of the client to be compatible with a 1.10.0 server.
I've also been thinking about ways to restructure Client.java slightly
so that it doesn't become enormous and all-encompasing.

Is there a procedure in place for submitting code? It's still a bit
early for me to check anything in, but I was just curious about how I
would go about doing it when I'm ready.

Are there any automated tools for generating the java source?, e.g. I
noticed that Constants.java has a "do not modify, machine generated"
comment at the top, since I need to upgrade this for 1.10.0, it'd be
nice not to have to do it by hand (I've been modifying it manually when
I need to up till now). This sort of goes for the packet stuff to; in
theory it might be possible to "parse" packets.h and/or packets.c and
generate the java code from it...

A bit about me: I work for Oracle developing a Java UML modelling tool.
I don't have an enormous amount of free time, but I quite like tinkering
with opensource java stuff when I get the chance.

Brian