Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-java: July 1999:
[FreeCiv-Java] C version experts

To: Freeciv Java <freeciv-java@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [FreeCiv-Java] C version experts
From: Artur Biesiadowski <abies@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 1999 11:58:39 +0200

I'm seriously thinking about implementing java client for freeciv. I
will not start coding this month - I'm going for vacation. but I would
like to have some food for thoughts, so I'm writing now.

My first question is if there is a C version guru on this list ? To do
the java version in maintainable manner a some of things from C version
would have to be given in form of text files, not hardcoded. I think
that should also improve modularity of C version at same time. I would
prefer not to mess with C version as far as coding is concerned -
program is too large to be hacked carelessly by newcomer. Somebody with
good knowledge of C freeciv, willing to help, would be very needed. If
there is no such person on this list, maybe somebody of you can
introduce the problem on freeciv-dev forum.

Next thing is if you will accept LGPL or even Public Domain code. GPL is
not a good thing in java - it does not promote reuse of code. I would
like to start with map/tile code, which is more generic than just
freeciv - and I would like to make it available to other projects. If
you really want client code to be GPLed, then I would have to put this
code in outside package (see next question).

Do you allow me to use org.freeciv... package names for this project ? I
would like to put mapper under org.freeciv.map or like and put it into
Giant Java Tree(www.gjt.org).

More questions later, concerning specific implementation
details/proposed changes to client/common code in freeciv.

Artur