Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-i18n: January 2003:
[freeciv-i18n] website translation in Polish? (was: Maps from FreeCiv)

To: Wawrzyniec Niewodniczanski <niewod@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: FreeCiv <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Freeciv translation <freeciv-i18n@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-i18n] website translation in Polish? (was: Maps from FreeCiv)
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 16:19:37 +0100

On Mon, Jan 27, 2003 at 02:43:23AM +0100, Wawrzyniec Niewodniczanski wrote:

> One more question. About text.
> Can we translate texts from www.freeciv.org, and add to our website?
> Can we use english text too?
>
> Of course we would like to give you this text back after translation and in
> close
> future cooperate to providing polish version of freeciv website. It will be
> nice thing to see polish flag with others ;-)

I think this would be very nice, and useful, too, for there are many
Freeciv players from Poland.

I am one of the maintainers of the English site.  If you look at the
existing website you will notice that there are translations of the
site in German, French, Japanese, Romanian and Italian.  They keep the
original structure and only translate the text.  The Italian site is on
a different server and it's not in the same CVS repository so I don't
follow it as closely.  You are always welcome to have a CVS account on our
server and write the translation there but if you want to use a different
server that is fine.

There is one problem.  Some areas of the site have lists or tables of
items and use PHP to generate them.  These areas are a bit more difficult
to translate; you will see that some of them are missing on the translated
sites.  We want to go towards a situation where the PHP scripts no longer
contain any translatable text anymore and it is all in the source files.
That would make it easier.  It would also help if more of the HTML was
generated in general.  At the moment, if we make a change in the English
site to the layout or details of the PHP code, all the translators have
to make this change as well.  This is silly.  I haven't been able to
put much work into this yet.  The only PHP script that I have completely
cleared of translatable text is the screenshots generator.  It means
that translators can use the same script instead of having to
maintain a copy.

If you want to communicate with the other translators, please subscribe
to the freeciv-i18n mailing list.  I think we are all on it.

--
Reinier Post