Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-i18n: October 2002:
[freeciv-i18n] Re: how to make www.freeciv.org translatable

To: freeciv-i18n@xxxxxxxxxxx, webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [freeciv-i18n] Re: how to make www.freeciv.org translatable
From: Reinier Post <rp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 18:59:56 +0200

On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 06:45:44PM +0200, Christian Knoke wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 03:38:59PM +0200, Reinier Post wrote:
> >
> > This is a request for discussion on the translation of www.freeciv.org.
> >
> [...]
> > What follows is a - hopefully complete- overview of the existing support
> > for translation of www.freeciv.org.
>
> Thank you - maybe you can put this into web_html CVS?

I will make a document out of it as soon as we have agreement
on how to make generated pages translatable.

> I jump to the one point which strikes me right now:
>
> >   - adopt gettext: maintain a list of translatable strings that occur within
> >     the files on the site, and ask translators to translate this list
>
> I wonder whether this is a way to go. It surely has a disadvantage:
> Every translation needs to be as complete as possible. The user
> will see english text all the time if it is not.

I don't understand - isn't this the case already?

> On the other hand I think a (nearly) complete translation would be good to
> have.
>
> The plusses are many:
>
> - We can translate paragraph by paragraph or item by item. If some
>   information changes, we'll see the FUZZY mark. Right now it's hard
>   to see when things get obsolete.
>
> - No need to hassle with html or php.
>
> - The user will not miss any information due to a incomplete translation.
>
> - The user will not miss any information due to a obsolete translation
>   (because the fuzzy things will be replaced by the engllish text auto-
>   matically).
>
> - The user won't have to decide whether read the english or german pages.
>   She will always go to the german (french ...) pages.
>
> What I'm not sure with is how easy/hard it will be to translate those
> po files. It would be a must that paragraphs which belong together (because
> they are on the same page) are subsequent in the po file(s).

It would be best if the translatable strings don't need to be marked
explicitly, but can be extracted automatically.  For well-formed HTML
and XML this is not very hard to do, for PHP files a bit of guesswork
is required.

--
Reinier