Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-i18n: September 2002:
[freeciv-i18n] Re: English original text, change proposal

To: Freeciv i18n ML <freeciv-i18n@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [freeciv-i18n] Re: English original text, change proposal
From: Davide Pagnin <nightmare@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 03 Sep 2002 18:22:52 +0200

On Sat, 2002-08-31 at 09:30, Christian Knoke wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 30, 2002 at 10:43:53AM +0200, Davide Pagnin wrote:
> >     Hi all!
> >
> > This is (IMHO) i18n matter, even if it involves the original English
> > text.
> >
> > In the common/share.c file we found this line:
> >
> > _("%s: Fatal error: you're trying to run me as superuser!\n")
> >
> > The output of this line, is IMHO very bad,  there are 2 colon (:) and
> > thus the message is very readable.
> >
> > Isn't this a better text?
> >
> > _("Fatal error: you're trying to run %s program as superuser!\n")
> >
> > I'm not English native speaker, but this way there is a clear definition
> > (Fatal error) and the related issue, with the subject (%s) that has
> > raised the problem.
> >
> > Any comment?
>
> Well both texts fulfill the purpose of this message, which is a rather
> technical one, since it is presented to the console operator or in a log
> file. Many Linux programs behave like this, try sed, make, mount e.g.

Sorry, but what you mean? make, sed or mount are not executable by root?
Or that they issue fatal error messages with the freeciv format?

I've made my proposal for 2 reason:

1. Having 2 colon (:) seems awkward to me.

2. The freelog call, normally resemble my definition, not the one that
is currently implemented. (N.B. Inside that relevant procedure, freelog
can't be used, so a printf family call is used)