Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#21696) PATCH - ADNS used for reverse name lookups

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#21696) PATCH - ADNS used for reverse name lookups in server
From: book <book@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 14:46:09 +0000 (UTC)

Per I. Mathisen <per@...> writes:

> Parsing resolv.conf and windows registry does not sound good. How about we
> just use http://daniel.haxx.se/projects/c-ares/ ? It is what curl is
> using.

ares_init.c +407, +567, parsing of windows registry and resolv.conf!
Well seems even the big boys don't avoid special casing to solve this
problem :D.

C-ares looks good though. The reason I didn't use a more evolved lib over
tADNS in the first place is because it would have been a pain to munge
the Makefiles to include another lib in 2.0 (I'm not an autoconf expert :/).

> We can strip it down, and include it along with lua and the other
> dependencies we have in the repository.

Now that I have examples of other libs (lua) it should be easy to do.