Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#16250) Beta1: Orders Menue

To: chrisk@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#16250) Beta1: Orders Menue
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 23:33:08 -0700

> [chrisk - Mon Apr 03 12:50:19 2006]:
>

> Beta1 2.1 GTK2 and others
>
> The orders menue in the GTK2 client misses some keyboard shortcuts. As you
> know, the shortcuts are different from the key commands that can be
entered
> in the main map, but there are good reasons not to make them *too*
different
> from these (mainly mnemonic reasons).

IMO all the shortcuts should be available in menus.  Even the enigmatic
't' command that would have no meaning when selected with a mouse...if
it were in the menu at least people would know it was there.

> Now, some shortcuts are missing for orders that can be otherwise
accessed by
> Shift-<Letter> commands (but not for Unload Transporter, shift-U).

I'm not sure what this means.  Some orders do not have shortcuts, it's
true.  When I added orders I looked for sensible free shortcuts for
them.  But what's really needed is for someone to go over ALL the orders
and assign sensible shorcuts for all of them according to some
overarching plan.

> What I do not know is, how these interfere/work with other clients, esp.
> WIN32. The po file give me the impression that there are no menue
shortcuts
> for win32. Is this correct? Or how can these be defined (by translators)?

You want the shortcuts to be translated?  There are some major problems
with that, though I can see that it does have some big advantages
too...regardless, I don't know what the deal with the win32 client is.
Most likely it has shortcuts set, but they aren't marked as translateable.

> Also, there are 2 'Go to' items in the orders menue, one of them giving a
> submenue with only 1 item, the other being the usual GOTO command. In each
> line, there is a 'G' indicating *key command*; the first one is not
correct.
> Also, I think, in the menue, these two Go To items should/could be unified
> into one (with a submenue) so, that G key command is still working as
usual
> in all clients.

Hmm.

> Some menue items can be selected for a unit, while it is clear that the
> command can't be given: Upgrade Unit for up-to-date units, Goto+build city
> for non-settlers.

Just a matter of the sensitivity not being set.  Greg once had issue
with setting sensitivity for EVERYTHING, since then there is no way to
determine why a command isn't available (whereas, if sensitivity is not
set, you can select the command and then get an informative error
message).  But IMO sensitivity is a good thing, and we should enforce it
for all commands.  It takes a lot of code though.

> Last but not least, the help for Controls need to be updated for the Y,
> Shift-G, Control-U, and Ctrl-Shift-B commands. For the latter, I can
send a
> patch.

This patch is now applied.  I'm closing this ticket...though there may
be more work to do here (reopen it or create a new ticket as needed).

-jason