Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: July 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#18624) [Documentation] INSTALL update

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#18624) [Documentation] INSTALL update
From: "Marko Lindqvist" <cazfi74@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2006 05:16:20 -0700

Jason Dorje Short wrote:

> Marko Lindqvist wrote:
>>
>>   '--disable-cvs-deps' is mentioned in a couple of places. Does this
>> documentation still apply now we use svn?
>
> I have no idea what --disable-cvs-deps does.  I suspect it has been
> obsolete for many years.

  It seems that it has actually nothing to do with CVS. It has been
named  cvs-deps because it applies to development versions (CVS
version), and not to releases.
  It (bootstrap/undep.sh) tries to modify Makefiles generated by
configure removing some gmake & gcc specific stuff. I don't have a clue
if this is still needed with current versions of automake & autoconf.
  At least it's broken. Regexp matches nothing in Makefiles generated by
new versions of automake. If this is still needed, regexp must be fixed.
Also, relatively new directory 'utility' has not been added to its
directory list.

  I think that we should leave it as it is until 2.1 is released. If we
get bug reports that it is needed and broken, it's easier to fix
existing script than to write it from scratch. If nobody complains that
it's broken in 2.1, we can remove it from development version.

  - ML