Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7123) Metaissue for FS

To: i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7123) Metaissue for FS
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 10:05:36 -0700

On Sun, 7 May 2006, Christian Prochaska wrote:
> In my opinion it should become a highly customizable (free themeable)
> and portable (should run at least on a Pocket PC, too) client. That's
> basically what it was meant for from the beginning, isn't it?

Yes.

> Scripting support for the GUI layout would be nice, but at the moment I
> wouldn't know how to implement it.

.ini or XML layout has the advantage of allow us ways to validate it, and
if we should desire it, ways to edit the layout while the program is
running and then save the changes.

> Here's a patch for the cairo integration.

Nice!

> In my opinion the possibility to choose between different drawing
> modules is a nice thing, so I think we should keep it as long as it
> doesn't make other things too complicated.

While working on adding OpenGL support to ftwl, and testing it with
animations on very large resolutions, I came to the opposite conclusion.
The only way to handle very large resolutions properly is with hardware
surfaces, anything else just chokes the bus, and there is no way to do
implement hardware surfaces with the current design.

Also it is kind of weird for us to have a layer that handles multiple
libraries that themselves are layers for handling multiple computer
systems. Basing ftwl on Cairo alone will simplify the design a lot.

However, I will certainly leave this decision up to whoever wants to hack
on ftwl.

   - Per