Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#16814) CMA: Make each CMA control optional

To: s1kevin@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#16814) CMA: Make each CMA control optional
From: "Christian Knoke" <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 02:13:27 -0700

Hello,

Kevin Benton wrote on May 02, 16:41 (-0700):

> I'd like the ability to select which controls are used in the CMA
> computation.  For example, I'd like to set the food computation factor,
> but ignore the min surplus factor.  I typically use/have a "Standard
> Development" CMA I use to help me during a city's growth phase.  What's
> annoying about it is I want Gold to be computed in the weight, but I
> don't want a minimum set.  I also want to be able to set a "Disband
> City" CMA that will intentionally shrink the size of a city while I
> create settlers to bleed off the city's population.  CivIII gives us the
> option to disband a city when taking it over.  It doesn't allow us to
> convert the city into settlers.

Both you suggest is possible. To 'ignore the min surplus factor', I usually
set it to the most negative value (-20). This works with food and gold
equally well. Indeed, most of my CMA (gouvenor) settings have most surplus
sliders set to the left. While it does not have a useful effect in many
cases, it gives clear improvement in others.

With food surplus=-20 you can also disband a city. Just activate the
respective settings option in the city dialog.

Have a look at the README.cma file coming with the source for more hints for
the Gouvenor use. Its also online at
http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/freeciv/branches/S2_1/doc/README.cma?rev=11448&view=log

Christian