Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: May 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#16788) Re: Re: GGZ support

To: chrisk@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#16788) Re: Re: GGZ support
From: "Jason Dorje Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 12:46:46 -0700

Christian Knoke wrote:

> Jason Dorje Short wrote on May 01, 10:02 (-0400):
>> Christian Knoke wrote:
>>> what is the state of GGZ support in 2.1 BETA?
>
>> You will need to install libggz, ggz-client-libs, and ggz-gtk-client.
>
> I installed libggz-0.0.13, ggz-client-libs-0.0.13, and
> ggz-gtk-client-0.0.13. They compiled fine. Platform is Debian Sarge.
>
> I then ./configure --with-ggz-client. civclient --help now shows the -z
> option.
>
> ~$ civclient -z
>
> gives me this warning:
>
> (process:14726): GLib-WARNING **: giounix.c:400Error while getting flags for
> FD: Ungültiger Dateideskriptor (9)

Don't ever run freeciv with the -z option.  Just run it normally and
connect to a GGZ server.

> The GGZ dialog appears in English, not translated. According to
> http://dev.ggzgamingzone.org/i18n/ the german translation is complete.

Translation is an issue here because it has to look things up in a
separate catalog (the ggz-gtk-client catalog) but there is not code for
this and I don't really know how to do it.  I'll try to fix this.

> I didn't manage to compile Freeciv with ggz server support. It seems to
> require ggz-server-0.0.13 (for the ggzdmod module), but the compilation of
> the library fails:

Yes, it requires the ggz server libraries.  However you don't need GGZ
server support unless you want to run your own GGZ server (roughly the
equivalent of pubserver).

> ggzdb_db4.c: In function ggzdb_init_player':
> ggzdb_db4.c:120: error: incompatible type for argument 4 of indirect
> function call
> ggzdb_db4.c:120: error: too many arguments to function
> ggzdb_db4.c: In function ggzdb_init_stats':
> ggzdb_db4.c:338: error: incompatible type for argument 4 of indirect
> function call
> ggzdb_db4.c:338: error: too many arguments to function
> make[4]: *** [ggzdb_db4.o] Error 1

DB4 is obnoxious because there are several different versions that are
not actually compatible.  Try using the db3, pgsql, or mysql databases.

> ADDENDUM:
>
> civclient without -z option starts OK. The dialog is still in English.
> Didn't test the function any further, guess the firewall is in the way.

If you configure --with-ggz-client then you should be able to connect to
pubggz via the "connect to gaming zone" button on the first dialog.

You can also just run "ggz-gtk" on the command line and connect via that
(to pubserver.freeciv.org port 5688); then it will launch freeciv
separately when you go to play a game.

-jason