Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6029) Civ3 feature: Nationality

To: marko.lindqvist@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6029) Civ3 feature: Nationality
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 08:14:43 -0800

On Tue, 28 Feb 2006, Daniel Markstedt wrote:
> IMHO, we shouldn't try to emulate neither SMAC's nor Civ3's model of
> 'nationality': they aren't particularly elegant.

I agree.

> * A city's nationality report could be something like "Egyptian:7,
> Roman:3" (for a city of size 10)
> * A negative happiness modifier to cities where a majority of the
> population is 'foreign' - and perhaps twice as much when you're at war
> with their 'homeland'...
>
> * However, a city with 'mixed' population gets a trade bonus! This is
> important, because then you will have the option of either attempt full
> assimilation and geta content but boring city, or control the
> unhappiness and get more trade and science from it!
>
> * A certain wonder/small wonder could eliminate all nationality related
> unhappiness; another one could make sure every new citizen is of 'your'
> nationality and/or make one citizen/turn tranform into 'your' nationality.
>
> Thoughts?

First impression is that I like it. Sounds a lot like the nationalities
system in Moo2. I can already think of a number of interesting ways to
interact this with the advanced governments ideas.

However, it has the same problem as the Moo2 rules in that mixed
populations would be extremely rare, and even more rare than in Moo2 since
using settlers to add to cities (the only way to get mixed populations) is
quite rarely used in Freeciv except in some largepox setups. And
complicated rules that are rarely (if ever) seen are pointless.

  - Per