Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15575) rename gui-gtk-2.0 as gui-gtk?

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#15575) rename gui-gtk-2.0 as gui-gtk?
From: "(Eddie Anderson)" <saywhat@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 02:48:35 -0800

"Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Now that we have SVN, renaming of gui-gtk-2.0 as gui-gtk is fairly easy.
>  It's possible that a new gui-gtk-3.0 will be required in the future
>but nonetheless I see no reason for the -2.0 appendix.
>
>Thoughts?

   I'm opposed to such changes.  The reason is its muddying
affect on the repository of old code.  ISTM that if successive
versions of gtk code get renamed to the same base name, then
determining which version of gtk that a particular piece of code
was written for would become more difficult.

   E.g. if the rename goes in then all gtk related code that gets
added to the repository after that point will have the same prefix
as the prior gtk versions.  From that point onward each time
someone needs to refer to some past code, they will have to
mentally "shift gears" (after checking the date to see which
version of gtk was in use when that code was written).

   Or am I misunderstanding how the proposed rename process would
affect things?

 -Eddie