Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: February 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14763) Design of advanced governments code (v4)

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14763) Design of advanced governments code (v4)
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 12:40:42 -0800

To expand on what I said in IRC, we need to make sure with the new
governments design that actions remain reversible until the end of the
turn.  Any changes may be immediate, but if you change something and
change it back before the end of the turn there should be no penalty or
disadvantage for doing so.

This corresponds to the way changing governments works now, and to the
way it worked in SMAC.  In the current code if you change from despotism
to republic you're immediately dropped into anarch.  However if you
choose despotism before the end of the turn you're returned straight to
despotism.  Your CMA may have to adjust but there is no outright penalty
for doing so.

This is also the way changing city production works.  If you change from
building a wonder to a unit you lose 50% production.  But if you change
back to a wonder you get that production back.

-jason