Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: FREECIV_COMPRESSION_LEVEL

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: FREECIV_COMPRESSION_LEVEL
From: banjo <banjo@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 16:10:28 +1300

Michael Kaufman wrote:
On Sun, Jan 29, 2006 at 08:29:07PM +1300, banjo wrote:

Hi

I'm having a go at writing a freeciv client in perl.

I have some questions, is USE_COMPRESSION used?
more importantly how can a client determine FREECIV_COMPRESSION_LEVEL?

yes I do believe it is used. I just skimmed over the code, (packets.c) and it seems as though the receiver of the packet doesn't need to know the
compression level to uncompress whether it be the server or client.

see what's happening: change these defines:

#define BASIC_PACKET_LOG_LEVEL  LOG_DEBUG
#define COMPRESS_LOG_LEVEL      LOG_DEBUG
#define COMPRESS2_LOG_LEVEL     LOG_DEBUG

cheers, that'll help.

The real question is: are you sure you want to do what you are doing? Many
have tried... (though not in perl).

-mike

what stopped them?
which part was too hard?
the network connector? (packets.def helps a lot)
the ai bit?

I'm mainly aiming at producing a perl lib that
others can build on.

-billy