Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2006:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14917) Patch: martian.ruleset

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14917) Patch: martian.ruleset
From: "Sam Varshavchik" <mrsam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Jan 2006 11:06:08 -0800

Jason Short writes:

> Daniel Markstedt wrote:
>>
>> Well, he of course deserves to be leader of the Martians more than any
>> Earthling who never sat his foot in space. =)
>>
>> But in the end, I think we'd rather avoid adding (any more) trademarked
>> fictional content to the game...
>
> I don't think the name Marvin can be trademarked.  For instance I know
> several people named Marvin.

USPTO runs a convenient web-accessible search page.

There are a couple of trademarks on the word "Marvin" alone, by "Marvin
Lumber and Cedar Company CORPORATION MINNESOTA 401 State Avenue North
Warroad MINNESOTA 56763".

Here's an interesting one:

Word Mark        MARVIN
Goods and Services      IC 028. US 022 023 038 050. G & S: Toys, games and
playthings; Christmas tree ornaments; snow globes; gymnastic and sporting
articles (except clothing); hand-held unit for playing electronic games
Standard Characters Claimed
Mark Drawing Code       (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
Design Search Code
Serial Number   78614184
Filing Date     April 21, 2005
Current Filing Basis    1B
Original Filing Basis   1B
Owner   (APPLICANT) Disney Enterprises, Inc. CORPORATION DELAWARE 500 South
Buena Vista Street Burbank CALIFORNIA 91521

Disney trademarked "Marvin" less than a year ago.

There's a "MARVIN THE MARTIAN" trademark which is in the "abandoned" status
(!) as of 1999:

Word Mark        MARVIN THE MARTIAN
Goods and Services      (ABANDONED) IC 042. US 100 101. G & S: providing
multiple-user access to a global computer information network for the
transfer and dissemination of a wide range of information
Owner   (APPLICANT) Time Warner Entertainment Company, L.P. composed of
American Television and Communications corporation, Time Warner Operations
Inc., Warner Communications Inc., and Warner Cable Communications Inc., all
Delaware corporations, Capital Cablevision Systems, Inc., and People's Cable
corporation, both New York corporations, and Memphis CATV, Inc., a Tennessee
corporation LIMITED PARTNERSHIP DELAWARE 75 Rockefeller Plaza New York NEW
YORK 10019

Word Mark        MARVIN THE MARTIAN
Goods and Services      IC 025. US 039. G & S: clothing; namely, T-shirts,
and shorts. FIRST USE: 19871101. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19871101

Strangely enough I can't find a trademark for either "MARVIN" or "MARVIN THE
MARTIAN" from Warner for a cartoon or a fictional character.  Warner seems
to be trademarking "MARVIN THE MARTIAN", if anything, and there are plenty
of other people trademarking "MARVIN", for all sorts of things.