Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#14721) City Name Aliases

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#14721) City Name Aliases
From: "Benedict Adamson" <badamson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 14:27:44 -0800

At Daniel's suggestion, I'm creating a separate ticket for my patch to
add city name aliases. The previous ticket used for the patch was PR#14343.

Daniel Markstedt wrote:
> You implementation has a weakness: It does not support the defining of
> alternative names for cities not actually on a nation's city list.

I deliberately wanted to keep the initial version simple; I prefer an
incremental approach, but until its actually committed, I guess I can
just keep producing new versions. Such alternative names are useful only
for renaming cities on conquest; a feature not in the current version of
the patch, but which I would have to implement first.

Which would be preferred? One large patch with all the features
(aliases, renaming and foreign names) or a sequence of patches?

I previously proposed this:
> * A city name in a nation's city list may be marked as being the name of
> a foreign city. The server will never select such names for new cities
> created by that nation. However, the server will consider those aliases
> for renaming on conquest. A city name is marked as being a foreign name
> by using the word 'foreign' like a terrain designation.

On further consideration, a 'foreign' label is not so good, because we
also require a canonical name for entries that have a 'foreign' label;
the format would be better if the syntax enforced this. That can be done
by using a character other than '=' to indicate aliases of foreign
cities, '*' for example (commonly used in historical linguistics for an
unattested word). Then, using your examples, we could have the following:

"Keijo (*Seoul)" ; in Japanese city list
"Donggyeong (*Tokyo)" ; in the Korean city list
"Miklagård (*Istanbul)' ; in the Viking city list