Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14613) GTK2 client ignores ~/.gtkrc-2.0

To: xbxrjf@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14613) GTK2 client ignores ~/.gtkrc-2.0
From: "Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa" <vasco.costa@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 23:41:56 -0800

On 11/15/05, xbxrjf@xxxxxxxxxx <xbxrjf@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> When the gtk2 theme system doesn't discover a theme to use, it calls
> gtk_rc_set_default_files to an empty list, which causes GTK to ignore
> the user's ~/.gtkrc-2.0 file,  Presumably it should be instead storing
> a copy of the return value of gtk_rc_get_default_files somewhere and
> handing that back instead of simply using an empty list.

Hello Robert,

Agreed. It should be possible to use the selected system theme.

> Though, actually, it's a bad idea for any application to override a
> user's UI preferences; presumably they've been set for a reason
> (anything from "I like it this way" to "my eyes are bad and I can't
> read anything except bright-white-on-black") and should be honored by
> individual programs.

Freeciv is not a regular application. It is a game. :-)
We have had many players complaining about how it looks like a spreadsheet.
Eventually we intend to ship with our own theme. This does not mean it should
not be possible to override it of course.

-Vasco Alexandre da Silva Costa