Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14538) Freeciv policy on fictional nations needed

To: himasaram@xxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14538) Freeciv policy on fictional nations needed
From: "Brendon" <yautja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 20:23:15 -0800

Daniel Markstedt wrote:

> Freeciv is badly in need of a clear policy on fictional nations. And
> with fictional nations, I primarily mean nations derived from the
> fantasy worlds of various authors. The current praxis of "keep those we
> got but disallow adding more" isn't sufficient. It doesn't even make
> sense allowing Middle Earth only - an "intellectual property" that is
> generating huge profits for the video game industry right now. I can't
> think of any fiction that would be more 'risky' to borrow!

I noticed the legal small print on the LOTR Pinball machine last time
you were discussing this. It's right next to the paddle buttons too, not
hidden where no one would see it. The one below is for the recent
computer game.

"Map of Middle-earth" © 1982-2003 The Saul Zaentz company, dba, Tolkien
Enterprises, under license to Vivendi Universal Games, Inc. The Tolkien
Enterprises logo, together with "The Lord of the Rings," "War of the
Ring," "The Hobbit," "Middle-earth" and the names of the characters,
events, items, and places therein are trademarks or registered
trademarks of The Saul Zentz Company dba Tolkien Enterprises

Pretty much rules out using any of the "places therein" for cities. My
vote goes for complete removal.