Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14350) RSA based authentication

To: mstefek@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14350) RSA based authentication
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 10:20:41 -0700

Mateusz Stefek wrote:

> Dnia 2005-10-16 18:10:42, Jason Short napisał(a):

>>Mateusz Stefek wrote:

>>>This patch encrypts passwords sent to the server using RSA algorithm
>>
>>and
>>
>>>openSSL library.
>>>
>>>The patch misses a feature of reading a key from external file.
>>>Currently the key is regenerated every time the server is run.
>>
>>Doesn't that mean the password will be different every time the server
>>is run?  Or is the key that is generated always the same?
>

> I don't understand you. I said that the RSA private key of the server
> is always regenerated. This is bad for security reasons. Ideally the
> private key should be generated only once to prevent man-in-the-middle
> attacks.

Ahh, the server key; I understand.

As I said I feel a one-way encryption would be sufficient.  This doesn't
prevent someone from taking over your account but it does prevent your
password from being compromised - since many people may (foolishly) use
the same password this is probably the most important goal.

Using TLS prevents passwords from being taken en-route.  But if the
password is still stored in plain-text in the database it may still be
stolen from there.  Using a fixed one-way encryption (hash) would
prevent these from being stolen.  This hash may be done at either server
or client.

>>Finally, the feature should perhaps be a compile-time option.
>
> Maybe. There are some licensing problems with openSSL. I'm quite sure
> we can use it under Linux. I'm not sure about Windows platform, since
> openSSL can't be considered a "natural" part of this system.

gnutls is better I think.

-jason