Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14340) Windows sound

To: mstefek@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#14340) Windows sound
From: "John Bauman" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 12:13:55 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <mstefek@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, October 15, 2005 8:17 AM

> On Sat, 15 Oct 2005, Mateusz Stefek wrote:
>> http://forum.freeciv.org/viewtopic.php?t=1267
>> http://forum.freeciv.org/viewtopic.php?p=8207
>>
>> Can someone fix it?
>
> If only I knew what the problem is. However, we have problem with sounds -
> we have very few of them, and I still need to go over and probably weed
> out some (or all) sounds from that quake modpack. That leaves even fewer
> sounds, and makes me wonder whether we should disable sound for now.

The problem is that the Windows client comes with only the WinMM plugin by
default, and that can only play .wav files, and not .ogg. The solution is (I
guess) to also compile in the SDL_mixer plugin on Windows. This will have to
be done for sound to work in 2.1.0, as the WinMM plugin has been removed
from svn.

John Bauman