Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#14170) Replace "Trade_revenue_reduce" tech flag with p

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#14170) Replace "Trade_revenue_reduce" tech flag with proper effect
From: "Mateusz Stefek" <mstefek@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2005 10:54:49 -0700

> [jdorje - Mon Oct 03 17:00:27 2005]:
>

> As a separate question, is this really a good feature?  Should we
> consider removing this from the rulesets?  Why does trade drop by
> discrete increments when a tech is discovered that logically should
> *increase* trade?
>
> -jason

Don't remove it from rulesets, the revenue is already too big.
I sometimes watch games where people produce only caravans to trade
between big cities. If you play well, you can get about 200gold and
200science from 50shields used for the caravan, even if you already have
researched flight.

Trade reduce on railroad and flight is really a good game balancing
idea: the more easily caravans can move between distant cities, the less
money should they receive. In fact, in my opinion, there should be
another handicap around Economics, because you should be gaining money
mostly from Stock Exchanges, not from caravans. Another arguments is
that caravan micromanagement is acceptable only in early game stages
when there are only few cities on a map.
--
mateusz