Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: How can I get a core dump?

To: Christian Knoke <chrisk@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: How can I get a core dump?
From: Guido Ostkamp <freeciv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 23:23:24 +0200 (CEST)

On Thu, 15 Sep 2005, Christian Knoke wrote:
> I crashed civserver, but cannot find the core file.
>
> I start civclient from the panel of the Gnome desktop in Debian Sarge.
> .bashrc has ulimit -c unlimited

Make sure the current working directory of civclient is writable and there
is no 'core' file belongin to another user in that directory.

This can be achieved by either not using chdir() and starting in a
writable directory with no 'core' file or by setting up appropriate signal
handler.

Example:

--- snip --- snap
#include <signal.h>

void
signal_handler(int sig)
{
        signal(SIGABRT, SIG_DFL);
        chdir("/tmp");
        abort();
}

int
main(void)
{
        int i;
        int x, y, z;
        for (i = 0; i < 30; i++)
                signal(i, signal_handler);
        x = 1;
        y = x-1;
        z = x/y; /* crash it */
}
--- snip --- snap ---

On crash, this will chdir to /tmp (which should be writable as long there
is no core file with another owner) and dump a core there.

Regards,

Guido