Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#13642) New behaviour of upgrade

To: sayenko@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#13642) New behaviour of upgrade
From: "Guest" <rt-guest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 03:26:52 -0700

First of all, thanks for your reply and long message.

As I have understood, there are three problems:

- upgrade cost
- port facility appears too late
- to upgrade a unit, there must (must not) be a special building

Upgrade cost
------------

I also agree that the upgrade cost must not be constant, but depend on
some external parameters. As for me, the simplest in implementation and
controlling idea is to intgroduce an effect Uprade_Bonus, which can be
attached to buildings, wonders, and technologies. For instance,

Leonardo: 10%
MassProduction: 20%
Factory: 30%

Seems to be feasible in implementation and flexible in subsequent
management through rulesets.

Port facility appears too late
-----------------------------

Same think I. That is why I have proposed a new building called
Shipyard, which is obsoleted by Port facility. It is possible to add it
via rulesets, and my wife will make an icon :-))

Upgrading units:
----------------

Personally, the idea of upgrading units simplifies the game. In Civ1,
there was no possibility to do it and you had to plan carefully what to
do with old units: either disband, or put somewhere in non-critical
parts of your country, or put them in the first line. It made the game a
little bit interesting. Now, you can build an army of warriors, train
them to be super-veterans, and upgrade till riflemen. If your Musketeers
are veterans, it does not mean they will be perfect riflemen.
Besides, I cannot imagine a situation when an ironclad visits a town of
population 1 and is upgraded to destroyer. In fact, we need barracks,
port facilities, and airports to heal our units. For the same reason, we
need these buildings to upgrade them. There should be no magic.

However, as I proposed, Leonardo Workshop should allow you to upgrade  a
unit of any type in any city.

So, I am going to finish the patch so that it works properly with all
clients. Then, you will decide, whether it is necessary or not :-))

Apart from this problem. I can spend some time on Shipyard and upgrade
cost. Do please, tell me, which one is the more important.

Sincerely,
Sayenko Alexander