Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12057) Some new wonder graphics

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#12057) Some new wonder graphics
From: "Paul Zastoupil" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:23:43 -0800

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 03:00:12PM -0800, Jason Short wrote:

> 1.  These should be integrated into a new buildigns.png.

Are you asking someone to do this?  I can do that.

> 2.  I'm concerned that using images for the graphics may not be
> localizable.  Everyone knows what a Dam is but Bach and Newton are
> pretty Euro-centric.  Translators can change the name but they have no
> control over the image.  (This is a bigger problem with the current
> cure-for-cancer that used the zodiac symbol.)

Maybe, but they are an improvement over the current situation.

Newton -> an Apple
Bach -> Stained glass, but thats hard to tell
Cure for Cancer -> Medical symbol and a crab
Hoover -> no change in symbology (didn't like the old one and now its svg)

None of the meanings have been changed from their current meaning.
This changes nothing as far as translators are concerned.

Also, I don't think it is the practice of translators to change the
names of the wonders.  These are very ingrained into the game by what
they are and when they are available.

In the "eurp-centric" view,  we leave the great wall, and sun tzu just
as they are.

--
Paul Zastoupil