Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12029) Freeciv 2.0 interface and bugs

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12029) Freeciv 2.0 interface and bugs
From: "gianmario.scotti@xxxxxxxxx" <gianmario.scotti@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 01:29:58 -0800

Hello,

I noticed a bug where the AI can build cities within my "zone of influence" or
"borders". I don't think this should be possible? Otherwise, what's the purpose
of the borders?

However, my biggest concern is the interface. I played the Win32/GTK2 version
of freeciv 2.0, and the interface was hideous. Compared to 1.x, I feel like I
lost all control over what is going on. Changing production in a city is so
painful it makes me cringe. Overall, things seem to happen without my control
over them, and they happen badly: the AI seems to be beating me even if in
"novice" mode. Or, there is a bug where "novice" is not implemented? I don't
know, but either way, this is the end of my Freeciv adventure, it seems. I'm
glad my previous bug reports (some directly to the Win32 maintainer) made the
previous version a bit better. This one is unfixable and I won't ever try to
play 2.0 again.

As this is my goodbye to freeciv, let me just add what I felt was an
unnecessary "improvement": the isometric view. You went ahead with the
implementation, even though your own poss showed that people prefere the
top-down view. I don't understand that decision, which brought to stopping the
development of top-down tilesets and an inflation of iso tilesets.

I hope one day freeciv 3.x will fix the interface, some years from now. If
freeciv becomes fun to play again, count on my humble contributions.

cheers

mario