Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12010) some interface problems in the current stable r

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#12010) some interface problems in the current stable release
From: "Joachim" <joachim.n@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 12:07:14 -0800

Hi guys.
I've just started using freeciv on the Mac through fink, so my version
is 1.14.0 and these might have already been fixed.

1. right-click to center doesn't quite work right -- i've widened my
window quite a bit, and right-click moves the tile clicked on to a
point usually too low down and too far to the left or right of the
center, depending on where it was to begin with.
2. Units in cities -- how can I find the stats (attack, defense,
moves, damage etc) of a unit that's in a city? Middle-click on a tile
shows no unit info if that tile has a city on it. The units pane in
the city window shows no stats at all. The text in the left-hand info
pane shows veteran status and moves remaining, but no attack or
defence.
3. Unit icons -- help! what does the funny bar on the top mean? The
manual is mysteriously silent on this one, both in the client and on
the wiki.
(I think some sort of convention to always label a unit with its stats
when it's within the interface (ie not on the map) would be a good
idea)
4. the four little widgets above 'turn done' -- what are those?
hover-hints would be nice.
5. if there are many units on one tile, the left-hand pane shows an
arrow beside the units... clicking this does NOTHING at all (at least
for my units in a city). It looks like it should! for example, it
could call up the unit selection window.
came about. It could have been a combination of joining the server
before a 'start'; or maybe the saved game itself was corrupt.
7. pop-ups relating to a city (eg has finished building) havea  button
to open the city pane... but it;s greyed out!

more related to the server...
-- seems to be no way to end a game on the server. I tried 'endgame',
but a 'load' after that told me a game was still in progress
-- need a way to specify which directory to save games to. my home
directory is filling up with save games! :(  I would suggest allowing
the filename prefix server option to hold a path as well, eg
.civgames/civgame. it's what I instinctively tried.

lastly, the URL for reporting bugs in the client help window --
http://www.freeciv.org/cgi-bin/bugs
 -- doesn't work.

thanks for all your hard work! :)
in the long term, I'd LOVE to see some sort of modular unit design,
like Alpha Centauri had. I was rather disappointed that civ3 didn't
have that.

cheers

Joachim