Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: January 2005:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#11858) Voting clean up

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#11858) Voting clean up
From: "Per I. Mathisen" <per@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 8 Jan 2005 10:01:38 -0800

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005, Jason Short wrote:
> > Playtesting yesterday revealed to me a huge problem in voting: The nice
> > 'more options' button, if used in pubserver games, or other games where
> > you do not have CTRL cmdlevel, is unable to set more than one option at a
> > time, and each of those have to be voted upon by everyone present.
>
> Of course.I thought this had been reported long ago.

Can you find the PR# in that case?

> My suggestion would be to remove voting and replace it with a game-host
> method.The host is the player who has been connected for the longest
> and automatically (regardless of any firstlevel settings) is bumped up
> to ctrl access.This is, I think, what just about every other
> multiplayer game does so it's what players are used to.

Game-host concept is the best for pregame, I agree. And all players have
to press 'start' to start. This is what other games do. However, once in
the game, whoever wins will be recorded as winner, and cheating becomes a
problem. So changing stuff while the game is running has to be limited in
some way, and voting is one way. Other games simply do not allow changing
stuff in-game, AFAICT. We could do the same - it is certainly simpler. All
we would need then would be consensus for 'start' and 'endgame', although
the latter can be replaced by a 'surrender' option as well.

  - Per