Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#11382) Fwd: byzantine nation

To: n.mavrogiannopoulos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#11382) Fwd: byzantine nation
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 23:22:11 -0800

Next question is how you came up with this flag.  The Byzantine Empire
may have had a real flag...several of them actually, but yours doesn't
look like one of them.

See http://flagspot.net/flags/gr_byz.html

According to my friend who is writing his master's thesis on the
Byzantine navy:

"They didn't [have a flag] (they used gonfalons not flags).  But they
did use the byzantine cross, ala medieval [total war, a video game], and
the byzantine eagle.  I think the imperial eagle would be the most
fitting.  All of the double headed eagles come from the byzantine eagle,
which in turn comes from the roman eagle."

He referred me to http://flagspot.net/flags/gr-ortho.html but said it
should be (Roman) gold on a field of (imperial) purple (red was
sometimes substituted for purple since purple was really expensive).
Finally he say that the flag you have is a Paleologian cross not a
Byzantine cross.

The eagle might be too tricky (unless we can find a GPL/PD one), but a
Byzantine cross on purple would be a good start.  He pointed me to these
two links:

  http://saintthomastheapostle.org/the_cross_explained.html
  http://www.totalwar.com/community/bat1.htm
  (note the gonfalons in the picture)