Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#11294) Help checkbox in science dialog should be a hel

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#11294) Help checkbox in science dialog should be a help button
From: "craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 22:15:50 -0800

Help checkbox in science dialog should be a help button

The help checkbox in the is a bit of a usability problem. I haven't
seen this paradigm for getting help anywhere else in software and it's
confusing for people who haven't grown used to it (which I still
haven't yet). Typically, when I select help, I expect help to appear
immediately. Currently, if you click the help button, nothing happens
until you change one of the dropdown lists. Yet, there is no visual
cue as to what I should do next once I click the help
checkbox.

It would be better to have a button that when pressed would pop up the
help for the item selected. Better, the items in the "Goal" dropdown
are a superset of those in the "Researching" dropdown, so the button
is best placed adjacent to the Goal dropdown, probably after the
text that displays the number of steps to get to that goal. There will
is no loss of functionality with this more standard layout.