Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: December 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#11292) Locks on Tax Rate dialog should be remembered b

Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#11292) Locks on Tax Rate dialog should be remembered between governments.
From: "craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 22:12:38 -0800

Locks on Tax Rate dialog should be remembered between governments.

The lock on the tax rates dialog are not respected when governments
change. When this happens, it appears that there is an automatic rule
to maximize science, taxes, and luxuries in that order.However, when I
set a lock, I often want that remembered since I am doing this for a
purpose. For instance, when I am keeping my population happy by
setting the luxuries high I have set locks on the luxury percentage in
the Tax Rates window. However, when I switch to a Republic, the
numbers change and my cities go into revolt. I then discover that the
lock on the percentage has been removed and the game has reset ALL of
these items instead of respecting the one I have set.

Reproduction:
1. Launch Freeciv 2.0 Beta 4
2. Set the tax rate to 10 luxury, 50 taxes, 40 science
3. Set a lock on the luxury rate.
4. Proceed playing the game until the Republic, (or another form of
   government) is discovered.
5. Examine the tax rates.

===>>> Notice they have all changed in accordance with maximizing
science, then taxes, and the luxury rate has been reduced to zero.

Expected Results:
Once I place a lock on one rate, that rate should be respected, then
maximization should proceed in the order of science, taxes, and
luxuries. In this case where I have discovered the Republic, the
luxuries should have remained at 10%, then science should be maxed at
80%, with only 10% going to taxes.

Impact: Annoying. The tax rates feels like a preference setting and
not to have them respected is surprising. If I miss the text in the
output or message window, the next signal I'll have is when I realize
I'm falling short of a monetary goal or cities begin revolting (due to
the change in rates). This can spoil a game, forcing the user to want
to go back to a previously saved state if possible.