Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: November 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10792) mapgen: ocean specials by poles

To: per@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#10792) mapgen: ocean specials by poles
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2004 18:18:28 -0800

Per I. Mathisen wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, Jason Short wrote:
>
>>>I am not sure
>>>if this is a bug or not. But ocean specials should IMHO be placed all over
>>>the ocean, and not just adjacent to land.
>>
>>This might be a bug.Certainly it's unrealistic.  But changing it
>>breaksgame balance (and looks ugly too).
>
> How does it affect game balance?

Good question...

It used to be (before Marcelo's mapgen code, so this may have changed)
that whales and fish had hard-coded likelihood percentages different
from those of land specials.  This would cause a really obscene number
of whales and fish to be placed if specials were put on all ocean tiles.

This would look ugly in the mapview.  I think it would also break game
balance in rulesets that had ocean cities (although there are no such
rulesets yet, so this is a minor issue) or if an excessive amount of
terraforming were done (terraforming already plays hell with specials).

jason