Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: October 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#10753) Win32 client - load saved game

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#10753) Win32 client - load saved game
From: "Eric CARLIER" <0ir4u3i02@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 02:55:55 -0700

Hello,

Here is a little bug report for the win32 2.0.0.beta-2 client.

In short terms:
---------------
When I try to load a saved game from the client, it tries to open a
civserver.exe, but civserver shuts down immediately, and civclient waits
indefinitely.

Background:
-----------
I downloaded freeciv from
<ftp://ftp.freeciv.org/freeciv/beta/Freeciv-2.0.0-beta2-win32.zip>.

I tried to keep my existing freeciv 1.14.2 while testing the beta. So,
my config is not fully standard.

My default (1.14) freeciv is installed in d:\programs\freeciv
My system environment variable FREECIV_PATH is set to
"d:\programs\freeciv\data"
My launching shortcuts (client and servers) have the following working
directory: "%appdata%\freeciv". On my system, it expands to
"d:\home\myuser\Application Data\freeciv" instead of the standard
"c:\Documents and Settings\myuser\Application Data\freeciv".
So, my .*rc files and my saved games are in "%appdata%\freeciv" (no
%HOME% is defined).

My beta freeciv is installed in d:\programs\freeciv2
I launch my client and my server with scripts that resemble to this:

@echo off
setlocal
set FREECIV_PATH=d:\programs\freeciv2\data
cd /d "%appdata%\freeciv2"
d:\programs\freeciv2\civserver.exe

Those complicated things, only for me to play v1.14.2 and test v2.0.0 ;-)

------------
I launch the client, but not the server.
I click on "load game".

My firewall (kerio) warns me that civclient.exe tries to launch
d:\programs\freeciv2\civserver.exe. Well, that's exactly what I want...
My process explorer (sysinternals) shows me a "civserver.exe" process
starting. Everything seems OK. But when I click on "permit" on the
firewall dialog box, civserver.exe disappear from the process list, and
civclient tries and tries and tries to connect to localhost:5555. I have
to kill it savagely.

Same result when kerio is disabled, and with d:\programs\freeciv2\ added
to the PATH.

Happy debugging!

--
   /e\ Éric CARLIER /e\