Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: September 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#10222) gtk2 client: death to popups?

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#10222) gtk2 client: death to popups?
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 21:57:36 -0700

1.  Unrequested popups are evil.  They come up when you don't want them
and have to be disposed of.

2.  Controllable windows are nice.  When playing in non-fullscreen some
may want to move windows around to keep them open always.

-----

Now that the meswin dialog is gone, I find myself all the more annoyed
by the remaining popup windows.

The report dialogs (like "richest nation", they pop up every few turns)
are the most annoying of all.  But this is easily solvable - this should
be another tab in the chat area!  It's just text after all.

The science dialog is rather annoying.  In most cases I'd rather control
when this comes up.  Several choices here:

- Simply make it an option whether to bring it up automatically.  If
disabled, the user has to figure out when to bring it up for themselves.

- Don't pop it up automatically (or let it be a user option).  However
provide a new event for the meswin message for tech research.  When this
event is clicked on in the meswin, the science dialog is brought up.

- Don't pop it up unless there is no tech goal set (that is, unless the
new research is unset).

The revolution dialog should just go away.

The end-of-game dialog is forgivable.  However this should be merged
into a general "score" dialog that is user-controlled.  This is more of
a long-term goal.

I'm not sure what other unrequested popups there are, but I'll be sure
to complain about them when I find them.

jason