Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9798) PATCH assign_continent_number_count size of cont

To: mburda@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#9798) PATCH assign_continent_number_count size of continents
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 14:11:20 -0700

> [mburda - Tue Aug 24 19:55:44 2004]:
>
> depend de 9796
> This is used by 9627 patch to clean easy small isle or oceans

The idea seems good.  I'm not quite sure how you plan to use it but it
seems obvious that the data should be useful.  Only problem is with the
ugly (but workable) indexing hack you use.

Another question I have is if we really want to extend the use of
MAP_NCONT.  Originally this was just a hack to get gen2 (?) to work.
But now it's extended to be a hard limit on the number of continents.
While more than 300 continents doesn't seem likely it would be easy to
make a scenario with it.

Also the name MAP_NCONT is bad.  It should be MAX_NUM_CONTINENTS.

Two alternatives:

- Rename MAP_NCONT as MAX_NUM_CONTINENTS.  Possibly make it bigger.

- Remove the value entirely and dynamically size any necessary arrays.

jason