Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#2834) Bug: handling of units when transfering city to

To: ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#2834) Bug: handling of units when transfering city to ally
From: "Jason Short" <jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2004 22:53:10 -0700

> [ue80@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx - Wed Jan 15 22:40:10 2003]:
>
> Hi,
>
> when transfering a city with units to an ally, all units in it are
> transfered to the ally too. Think only the supported units should be
> transfered in that case.

So the idea is that when transfering a city, no units' support should
change.  Units that are in invalid positions (victim's units in the
victim city, or victim's city's units in invalid locations outside of
the civtim's city) get bounced.

This has potential to be abused.  Say player A is at war with player B.
 Player C is neutral or allied with player B, but has a "secrect" and
unoffical pact with player A.  Player C sends in a unit right next to
player B's city, then transfer's that unit's homecity to player A.
Player A immediately attacks with the unit that is now deep into player
B's territory.

Also the bribery cost of cities should be changed.  Instead of counting
the units inside the city it needs to count the supported units.

Nonetheless I think the idea is cleaner than transferring units to
homecities that may not be able to support them.

However it is pretty complicated.

jason