Complete.Org: Mailing Lists: Archives: freeciv-dev: August 2004:
[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4712) future CVS versioning

To: jdorje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: jdwheeler42@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#4712) future CVS versioning
From: "Marko Lindqvist" <marko.lindqvist@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 09:59:17 -0700

Jason Short wrote:
> There is a commit callback mechanism that can be used.  However, running
> another commit from within this is dangerous since the CVS locks have
> already been acquired and then need to be acquired again - a possible
> deadlock condition.  (CVS locking is done on a per-directory basis.)

  Years ago (last century) I had, for my private project, (automatically
modified) cvs commit logs written back to repository. IIRC I used some
kind of logging callback for this. At this point commit is already made,
so I guess locks are already freed. Also, you can be sure that commit is
made when log callback is executed, whereas in commit callback is
executed before actual commit.

> There's also the "check for commits" check that generates the
> freeciv-cvs mailing logs.  This is run every 10 minutes or so to check
> the output from the current commit callback script.  The version update
> commit could be done here.

  Are you using commit callback for log writing? I imagined that
freeciv-cvs mailings originated from log callback. Once log callback is
started, it runs in its own process without messing with other cvs
usage, right?

(now I have to find out cvs manual and check what is official term for
this log callback I keep talking about :-)

  - Caz