[Freeciv-Dev] freeciv 1.14.1 compilation error

To: freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] freeciv 1.14.1 compilation error
From: Laurenz Wiskott <l.wiskott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2003 22:02:18 +0100

Dear freeciv developers,

I have compiled the recent release of freeciv 1.14.1 under redhat 7.3.
During ./configure I get the following WARNINGS
checking for filename_completion_function in -lreadline... yes
configure: WARNING: I had to manually add -lncurses dependency to
make readline library pass the test.
checking for rl_filename_completion_function in -lreadline... yes
configure: WARNING: I had to manually add -lncurses dependency to
make readline library pass the test.
checking whether readline works at runtime... _ yes

Compilation then works fine apparently, but when I run civserver and
civclient I get a number of problems.

1) The fond in the civclient is too small, smaller than in the 1.14.0
and 1.13.0 versions that run fine on my machine.

2) The windows, like the city report window, don't behave normal.
They always float on top of the main client window, I can't send them
behind.  They don't have the same little icons in the top right corner
indicating that I can maximize the window etc.

3) Worst is, the city report itself doesn't work properly.  I cannot
mark a range of cities with the mouse.  Sorting does not work.  Only
the size column permits some kind of sorting, but not by size.  The
other columns don't permit any sorting.  I get the error message
(civclient:8550): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file gtkliststore.c: line 1884
(gtk_list_store_set_sort_column_id): assertion `header != NULL' failed

4) Once I played with the client via internet and it crashed three
times, then I gave up.

I don't know what is wrong.  Maybe you have a clue.

In any case, I enjoy playing freeciv and would like to thank you for
your effort to create a fun game.

Merry Christmas and all the best for the new year,

Laurenz.