[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#7126) [FS] GUI style

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#7126) [FS] GUI style
From: "Raimar Falke" <i-freeciv-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:47:13 -0800

This issue is about what can be changed about the appearance and
how. Also at least one GUI style should be created.

I will start with a problem that the gui-sdl and also the current
gui-fs code has: repeating parts of the graphics to enlarge. To draw a
scrollbar based on the basic element in
http://www.freeciv.org/~rfalke/DELUXE6/deluxe/sdl/theme_boxs-mod.png
you have to repeat the middle. This leads to ugly repeatings which you
can see in http://www.freeciv.org/~rfalke/fs_pics/map09.png and
http://www.freeciv.org/screenshots/1.14.1/rb-sdl/sdl6.png.

Solution is that the scrollbar is saved in the png files as 3 parts
(left, center which is repeated and right). Since the total length of
the scrollbar is arbitrary the center has to have a width of 1 pixel.

A related problem are the background images for the text buttons like
the "Connect" one in
http://www.freeciv.org/~rfalke/fs_pics/connect1.png. You can also see
the ugly repeating button because also here the gui-sdl and gui-fs
creates the background image for the button by repeating certain parts
of the graphic. One solution here is to let the theme contain the
button graphic of the correct size with the correct text. However this
way we won't get i18n since the text would be in the graphic. Also
note that there are no buttons which have a varying size in the
layout.

Solution is that we save each and every button we use in the png
files. This way the person who draws the buttons has more freedom but
also more buttons to draw. To fit all i18ned text into the fixed size
button the font size is decreased till it fits.

These are two technical problems. However there still is the question
how the game should look like. Ideas?

        Raimar

--
 email: rf13@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  "brand memory are for windows users that think their stability