[Freeciv-Dev] (PR#7119) configure's Checking for GTK fails while it is i

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] (PR#7119) configure's Checking for GTK fails while it is installed
From: "Guest" <rt-guest@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2003 22:38:03 -0800

Hi, most likely this will be a support request from a one month
experienced Linux user trying unsuccessfully to compile a program for
the second time.

I spent some time reading INSTALL and got the stuff I need to compile
before running ./configure
Actually, I'm not 100% sure every requirement is installed, particularly
Glib, but it seems to.
In the first part there's a big bunch of succesful checks. Then...

checking for nl_langinfo and CODESET... (cached) yes
configure: checking for which client to compile:...
checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.0.0... no
*** Could not run GTK+ test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log
for the
*** exact error that occured. This usually means GTK+ is incorrectly
installed.
checking for gtk-config... no
checking for gtk12-config... no
checking for gtk13-config... no
checking for GTK - version >= 1.2.5... no
*** The gtk-config script installed by GTK could not be found
*** If GTK was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
*** your path, or set the GTK_CONFIG environment variable to the
*** full path to gtk-config.
checking for X... no
checking whether Xfuncproto was supplied... no
checking for compilable FUNCPROTO definition... no, cannot determine
checking for workable NARROWPROTO definition... no, cannot determine
checking whether Xfuncproto was determined... no
checking for Xfuncproto control definition FUNCPROTO... no
checking for Xfuncproto control definition NARROWPROTO... no
checking extra paths for Xpm... library no, include no
checking for XOpenDisplay in X library -lX11... no
configure: error: could not guess which client to compile
[root@localhost freeciv-1.14.1]#

So the mess seems to start with "checking for GTK+ - version >= 2.0.0...
no" however rpmdrake shows gtk+2.0-2.2.4-2mdk as installed.

I included config.log if you want to try telling me what's wrong. As I
said my experience is limited and I can hardly understand that file.

Thanks for your involvement