[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7072) Tile graphics on the edge of new territory

To: raven@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#7072) Tile graphics on the edge of new territory
From: "Jason Short" <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 09:39:44 -0800

> Using the Dec 6 Win32 CVS, I've noticed that you aren't given the same
> graphical clues about what the next tile over is going to be as you used
> to be.  I'm guessing this is on purpose, and I don't mind, but the way
> it's done is a little disconserting.  It looks more like you know what
> the next tile will be and then your wrong, rather than just not
> knowing.  I suppose this might be much harder to do, but I was thinking
> it might feel more comfortable if the last few pixels of the tiles
> edging unseen tiles got a bit hazy.  That is, the pixels which relate to
> what comes next would be fuzzy and uncertain, rather than certain but
> often wrong.

This change was made a little while ago by me.  It used to be the server
would send extra tile information to the client, which a clever client
could use to cheat.  Now that information is not sent and the client has
to extrapolate (in client/tilespec.c).

My original thought was that fog-of-war should encroach to hide this
extrapolation, but I don't think that's feasible (it would cover too much
of the tile).

IIRC this is the way that SMAC does it.  I remember this kind of "changes
to existing terrain" happening there often.

jason