[Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6669) Poles on a N-S wrapping topology

To: Freeciv Developers <freeciv-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Freeciv-Dev] Re: (PR#6669) Poles on a N-S wrapping topology
From: Jason Dorje Short <jshort@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2003 12:22:01 -0500

Ross Wetmore wrote:

The comments from others about not wanting polar continents in a
wrapped world are perfectly correct. This was the reason for adding
a separatepoles option (original vs Jason's misinterpretation) in
the first place.

No, it wasn't.  From the cvs commit log:

  date: 2001/12/13 19:13:16;  author: rfalke
  Add the option "tinyisles" to leave tiny (1x1) islands on the map. Add
  the option "separatepoles" to allow poles which are connected with a
  continent.

I have no objection to adding a new server option haspoles. I wouldn't particularly object to renaming the separatepoles option to haspoles and changing its meaning (although I'd first want to know why it was originally added).

jason